Sunday, October 28, 2012

You Cliche, I Cliche, We all Cliche

It's no secret among my family and friends that "bingo" said in a film will draw forth all manner of grunts and teeth grinding sounds from my side of the sofa. I often respond the same way to any version of "I just don't know you anymore", "we've got company" or "you just don't get it, do you?". Think I'm over-analyzing? Being difficult? Fine. Watch this.



And this....



And let's do this one just because.


I'm not saying that there is no place for a cliche or two in writing. Humans speak in cliches. We relate to cliches. In some way, cliches may even evoke an empathetic response. But a cautionary note: just like our favorite song becomes dull after 500 listens, sometimes (let's end this on a cliche, shall we?) enough is enough.

No comments: